- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups Arborio rice (400g)
- ½ cup dry white wine optional
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp fresh lemon rind
- 7 oz fresh baby spinach leaves
- Heat your stock in a saucepan and keep it simmering while you cook.
- Over medium high heat the oil and butter in a large skillet or saucepan, and cook the onion until it softens (do not brown).
- Add the garlic, cook for 30 seconds, then add the rice.
- Mix thoroughly to ensure the rice is fully coated in the oil/butter.
- Add the wine (if using), if not, use some of the stock.
- Allow the stock to absorb into the rice, then add stock by the ladle full (about half a cup at a time), allowing the stock to absorb before adding more, stirring frequently.
- Continue adding stock until it’s all gone – then add the lemon juice.
- Taste, then season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat, and mix in the lemon rind and the spinach, and let the spinach wilt.
- Grate fresh parmesan over the top.
It's veggie week in our house - an idea of the eldest who immediately planned t be out for dinner this evening! So the planned sweet potato curry was vetoed by the Boy and I was left wondering what to cook. Enter Mr Google. I had a packet of spinach and so hey presto. we have this dish.
I have to say given its uninspiring origin, it was surprisingly successful. The quantities are in volumes as its an american recipe - the rice I weighed after measuring was 400g which is quite a lot for 4 people, but it all went. The Boy had seconds.....